OK, so cupcakes may not be the first thing you think of during a cleanse but…well it’s my daughter’s birthday this weekend. So here’s the cupcake recipe we used. It was enjoyed by all…and nobody even noticed they were “non-traditional.” I did need to use eggs in this recipe. If you’re egg-free, you can experiment with some of the egg substitutes, but I find coconut flour to be a very “dry” flour and egg-free coconut recipes are extremely crumbly. If you find a great solution to this, please post in the comment section!
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar or palm sugar
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup rice milk
- ¼ cup coconut oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
- Place cupcake liners in muffin tin.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk through to combine until combined well.
- Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute to add air to the batter.
- Evenly distribute cake batter.
- Place in the oven and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
(Thanks to www.addapinch.com for the original recipe that just needed minor tweaking to make it Dairy/Gluten-free.)